Sunday, January 1, 2023

So the days float through my eyes, But still the days seem the same

One second of each and every day this past year. It may be small to some, but it feels like a major accomplishment to me. I am notorious for beginning things and promptly losing interest. But I stuck with it, for a whole year, and I'm tremendously proud of that. Especially considering I decided to start it on a whim last January 1st, with no prior planning or forethought. I'm also glad I picked 2022, as it ended up being a year I'd want to remember.

As much joy as this video gives me and how much I love seeing the little moments I'd of otherwise forgotten, I'm honestly relieved to stop and put it behind me. At round the 6 month point it became very difficult to not make it repetitive, as I was determined to try and capture something a little different each day so the clips wouldn't all merge into one and be boring to watch even for me. And for the past 6 weeks where I've been adjusting to a new country it's felt like more of a chore than ever, and I can see the sharp decline in my clips from mid November as I just filmed anything.

I'm also looking forward to not documenting everything. While some days I very almost forgot, other days I filmed several little clips so I could pick the best one, and documenting so much of your life becomes exhausting. Not every little thing needs to be documented and photographed and remembered, and over documenting my whole entire life is not a habit I want to get into. Sometimes I want to just experience stuff and get lost in that moment.

I originally drew this for 2021 (it's how you wish someone a happy new year in Danish, because I am Danish). I've not drawn as much as I'd of liked to this past year, but I've mostly just been trying to survive it. Life was really great pre-Covid, but ever since it's gotten steadily worse and I've just been floundering. And I say this every year, but I am hopeful for 2023. I know things don't magically improve January 1st and I get tired of that reductive take, I just appreciate the clean slate feeling a new year brings. You can leave your baggage at the door and start again. And I'm working really hard to try and improve things for myself. I feel like I've had a very introspective winter season so far, and I have a much clearer idea of what it is I'm hopefully heading towards and want to make happen for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment